Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Introductions are in order...

Yes, that's right. Here's yet another atheist with a rinky-dink page who has decided his opinion needs to be sent out into the blogosphere. Are you bored yet?

There are lots of us. But that's a good thing. Because despite the fact that atheists may be terribly over represented online (which I don't think is necessarily true, but let's go with it for a minute), each atheist blog is unique to that person.

Not, of course, to say that the theist blogs aren't original. They certainly are, and I speak from the experience of having read one or two of them. The originality, however, can be somewhat limited.

Take two blogs from two Catholics, for example. I used to be an RC, so I can at least talk about them with some knowledge. Now, you could have a pair of blogs that are very different. One could be a Republican and the other a Democrat. One could be a fundamentalist and the other a lapsed Catholic. When you get down to the bottom of it, though, they have the same spiritual background.

Atheists, on the other hand, can (and often do) have nothing in common with each other. I'm a former Roman Catholic who was always quite liberal and have been finding myself leaning, over the past few years and months, towards libertarian in my views. On the other hand, you have Sam Harris, who was somewhat atheistic his whole life, quite liberal (I think) and leaning towards Buddhist spiritualism. The only thing we really have in common is our shared opinion that god does not exist. (OK, ok, we're also both pasty white men. But besides that!)

And so I've decided to share my views here. I doubt I'll be heard over the rumble, but it's worth a shot. What I say may not always be smart, or right (I'm wrong a surprising amount of the time), but it will be what I believe.

I also invite anyone and everyone to tell me what they think in response. Even if it involves screaming and tearing out your hair. Especially the tearing of hair. It makes me feel special.

-morse

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Morse,
The beautiful thing is that you have been exposed to The Christ. You have some knowledge of Him. Therein lies HOPE brother.
God be with you,
Richard